The Road to the Holy Trinity Cathedral
«The Road to the Holy Trinity Cathedral»
The view of Holy Trinity church of St. Sergius with Nicon chapel from the left. In 1422 St. Sergius was canonized and until next year the first stone temple of the monastery, the Holy Trinity Cathedral, was built (1422-1423).
St. Nikon, who was Sergius's successor, rebuilt the entire monastery that had been destroyed during the invasion by Mongol Tatars in 1408. In 1422 the holy relics of St. Sergius were discovered during the construction of the Trinity Cathedral. St. Nikon commissioned the famous iconographers Andrei Rublev and Daniel the Black to paint the cathedral. The work was finished by 1425.
In 1458 the brick church - Nikon Chapel was constructed over the tomb of Nikon, who was buried at the southern wall of the Trinity Cathedral (the chapel on this photo is at the left side of main church, its dome is hided by branch of tree).
Now a days, a lot of people from all parts of Russia and another countries come and venerate St. Sergius’ relics, and are profoundly touched by being in St. Sergius’ presence.